WEST BENGAL KHADI & VILLAGE INDUSTRIES BOARD

Please Type

You are here: Home About Us Background

BACKGROUND

E-mail Print PDF
Article Index
BACKGROUND
KHADI KATHA
CHARKHA
All Pages

Gandhiji the father of the nation conceived Khadi as the best instrument for giving a concrete expression to the ‘Swadeshi’ spirit for making effective the    boycott of foreign goods in general and foreign cloth in particular. Khadi was also expected to provide an opportunity to every man, woman and child for cultivating self discipline and sacrifice, as a part of the Non-Co-operation movement.

Gandhiji set up in December, 1923, the All India Khadi Board. In 1925, All India Spinners Association (AISA) of Akhil Bharat Charkha Sangh was formed. In the Thirties, Gandhiji turned his attention to other Village Industries and as a result All India Village Industries Association (AIVIA). In 1948, Akhil Bharat Sarva Seva Sangha took over the activities of AISA and AIVIA. In January, 1953, the Government of India set up All India Khadi and Village Industries Board. Thereafter, a Bill was introduced in Parliament proposing the establishment of a Commission with "powers executive as well as Administrative" for proper development of Khadi and Village Industries. And AIKVIB was accepted as an Advisory Body. With the promulgamation of Act no.LXI of 1956, the Khadi and Village Industries Commission came into being in April, 1957. The State Boards in different states have come into existence in response to the Advice of AIKVIB which was required by the Government of India's Resolution of January, 14, 1953 to work "in close co-operation with the State Governments. The AIKVIB declared in May, 1953 as follows," "It would be desirable to see that the work in States should be carried on through State Boards." Thus the AIKVIB envisaged the State Board as the Principal Agency for implementing its programmes. The West Bengal Khadi & Village Industries Board was set up by the Government of West Bengal under W.B.Act. XIV of 1959 and took over the activities from erstwhile Advisory Board on 1st. April, 1960.

 



Last Updated ( Wednesday, 02 October 2013 02:02 )